The first bank account designed for climate action
Enter your email and be among the first to know when we launch the 1% for the Planet account.*
Launching July 2020
$0 Monthly Fee
with Any Deposit Checking1
- Waive the monthly service charge with any deposit per statement
- No minimum balance
Track CO2 emissions,2
right on the app
Get an estimate of your carbon footprint for every purchase made on your debit card.
We'll donate 1%3
(at no cost to you)
1% of our net revenue3 on this account will go to Protect Our Winters, a non-profit partner of 1% for the Planet.
Compostable Debit Card4
Make your impact
1% for the Planet has donated over $250 million to environmental non-profits. With our strong policies on sustainability, we are the only bank to offer an account that donates to non-profit partners of 1% for the Planet.
Enter your email and be among the first to know when we launch the 1% for the Planet account*
Launching July 2020
1% is just the start
Legal Information and Disclosures
* By entering your email address you are agreeing to receive email from Bank of the West with regard to the 1% for the Planet account.
1. The 1% for the Planet account is the Any Deposit Checking account that donates 1% of the net revenue to environmental nonprofits through the 1% for the Planet organization. $10.00 monthly service charge waived with one deposit of any amount each statement cycle. Deposits include direct deposit, mobile deposit, ATM deposit, or in-branch deposit of any amount. Does not include fund transfers between Bank of the West accounts or any credits from Bank of the West. Opening deposit can be any amount ($0.01 or more). No monthly service charge if any account owner is under age 25.
2. The carbon tracking tool, which will appear in the Bank of the West Mobile app for 1% for the Planet account, uses the Aland Index, a cloud-based service for carbon impact calculations, to provide a measurement of the potential carbon impact of purchases made with the 1% for the Planet debit card. The calculation is based on the merchant code, a code that indicates the types of goods or services a company provides, and the amount of the purchase. The actual carbon impact may be higher or lower than the measurement provided. The Aland Index is the leading index solution for carbon emission calculations for payments and financial transactions. The Aland Index Solution is a joint venture between Alandsbanken and Doconomy. Bank of the West licenses the Aland Index through Doconomy. To learn more visit alandindexsolutions.com.
3. Net revenue is defined as fees charged directly to the account, plus interest income, minus losses. Net fees is gross fees charged less reversals. Interest income is defined as the lowest end of the target Fed Funds range during the time period being assessed, multiplied by the average balance of the account and the percent of days in the year during which balances were held. Debit card revenue is not included in the account revenue calculation.
4. The 1% for the Planet debit card is made from 100% compostable/biodegradable PVC, however, the EMV chip, magnetic strip, ink and hologram are not biodegradable