You can get $250 with 1% for the Planet Checking1
No monthly service charge with any deposit per statement2
No minimum balance required
Bank of the West donates 1% of net revenue at no cost to you3
Get your $250 bonus:
- Open an account by September 30, 2022
- Make direct deposits of $1,000 or more for 3 months in a row1
Plus, enjoy all the benefits of our convenient digital features
Security and support you can depend on
Good for You. Good for the Planet.
Other banks finance things like Arctic drilling and Big Tobacco. We don't.
We have the strongest environmental policies of any major U.S. bank.8
Don't miss your chance to get $250 with 1% for the Planet Checking
Open online in 5 minutes or less
Promo code automatically applied.
Legal information and Disclosures
Availability of offer and offer end date subject to change without prior notice. All accounts are subject to the Bank's standard terms and conditions and Schedule of Fees and Charges.
*By entering your email address, you agree to receive one email coupon and one reminder email. Your email address will be used to send this coupon and reminder email. It will not be used for other promotions or shared with third parties.
1Requirements to Receive the $250 Bonus:
Apply for a new, qualifying consumer checking account with a promotion code between 07/11/2022 and 9/30/2022—the account must be opened by 10/14/2022. Account must be opened online at www.bankofthewest.com/checkingbonus or in a branch. Qualifying checking accounts are consumer checking accounts, excluding UCB Student Checking and Bank of the West Premier Checking accounts.
Customer must make qualifying direct deposits of $1,000 or more, monthly for three consecutive calendar months within the corresponding qualification period, detailed below. All direct deposits must go to the new checking account. One or more separate direct deposits in a single calendar month that add up to $1,000 qualify. Fulfillment of the offer requirements is based on calendar months which may not coincide with statement cycles. For example, for accounts opened in July, three months of sequential direct deposits made in July, August and September; August, September and October; September, October and November; or October, November and December would each qualify.
A qualifying direct deposit must be payroll, Social Security, pension or other government benefits. Non-qualifying direct deposits include transfers from Bank of the West or Bank of the West affiliate accounts, credits from Bank of the West, ACH bank-to-bank transfers, person-to-person transfers using a mobile payments service such as Zelle®, or deposits made at a branch or ATM. Qualifying direct deposits must be funds new to the Bank.
Offer Qualification Periods and Key Dates:
- For accounts opened in July and August:
- Three consecutive months of direct deposits, totaling $1,000 or more per month, must post to the account by 12/30/2022
- On 12/30/2022 the account must be in open status with a balance greater than $0 to be eligible for the bonus.
- The bonus will be credited to the new checking account by 01/31/2023. The account must be in open status to receive the bonus
- For accounts opened in September:
- Three consecutive months of direct deposits, totaling $1,000 or more per month, must post to the account by 01/31/2023.
- On 01/31/2023 the account must be in open status with a balance greater than $0 to be eligible for the bonus.
- The bonus will be credited to the new checking account by 02/28/2023. The account must be in open status to receive the bonus.
- For accounts opened in October:
- Three consecutive months of direct deposits, totaling $1,000 or more per month, must post to the account by 02/28/2023.
- On 02/28/2023 the account must be in open status with a balance greater than $0 to be eligible for the bonus.
- The bonus will be credited to the new checking account by 03/31/2023. The account must be in open status to receive the bonus.
- Offer is not available to existing Bank of the West customers with an open consumer checking account as of 07/10/2022.
- An individual can receive only one consumer checking account opening related bonus between 01/01/2021 and 03/30/2023.
- Only one new checking bonus can be applied to a checking account.
- Only one individual per residential address is eligible for this bonus offer.
- Promotion code required at account opening.
- Offer does not apply to second or multiple checking accounts.
Bank will classify the bonus as interest paid to the checking account. Any applicable taxes associated with the bonus are the responsibility of the account holder. To the extent required by law, Bank will report the total value of this bonus to the IRS on Form 1099 for tax year 2023.
New money does not include fund transfers between Bank of the West or Bank of the West affiliate accounts or any credits that may be applied from Bank of the West or any Bank of the West affiliate.
Offer only valid for checking accounts opened in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
2$10.00 monthly service charge waived with one deposit of any amount each statement cycle. Deposits include direct deposit, mobile deposit, ATM deposit, or in-branch deposit of any amount. Does not include fund transfers between Bank of the West accounts or any credits from Bank of the West. Opening deposit can be any amount ($0.01 or more). No monthly service charge if any account owner is under 25 years of age.
3The 1% for the Planet account is the Any Deposit Checking account that donates 1% of the net revenue to environmental nonprofits through the 1% for the Planet organization.
4Enrollment in Online Banking and download of our Mobile App is required. Wireless carriers may charge fees for text transmissions or data usage. Message frequency depends on account settings. Text HELP to BKWST (25978) for help. Availability of Mobile Banking may be affected by your mobile device's coverage area. Mobile Banking requires an internet-ready phone and is supported on Apple iPhone devices with iOS 9 and greater and on Android mobile devices with OS 5 and greater. Mobile deposits made before 7 pm PT will be processed the same business day and made available within two business days. Longer delays may apply based on the type of items deposited, amount of the deposit, account history or if you have recently opened your account with us. There is no fee for enrolling with or sending money using Zelle in Bank of the West Online or Mobile Banking. Other Bank of the West fees (such as stop payment and overdraft fees) may apply. Refer to your Schedule of Fees and Charges for details. Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license. Must have a bank account in the U.S. to use Zelle.
5Fees apply to expedited delivery options. A valid delivery address is required for Overnight Checks.
6Up to the maximum established by the FDIC per depositor and ownership type. Read more here.
7Conditions and restrictions apply. Your liability for unauthorized use of your debit card for debit transactions processed through the Mastercard® system will be zero dollars ($0) provided the following conditions are met: (1) you can demonstrate that you exercised reasonable care in safeguarding the debit card from risk of loss or theft; and (2) upon becoming aware of a loss or theft, you promptly report the loss or theft to Bank of the West. Refer to the "Consumer Liability of Unauthorized Transfers" and "Mastercard Debit Card Zero Liability" sections of your Deposit Account Disclosure and Safe Deposit Box Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions for Personal Accounts for details.
8Major U.S. banks are U.S. banks with assets in excess of $90B. Read more about our restrictive fossil fuel policies here.
Tell us where you live
Choose your state of legal residence. We can then give you information about the products and services available in your area.
Note: Bank of the West has branches only in the states listed in the drop-down. At this time, we only open accounts for individuals and businesses in these states.